I'm Getting Married
You and the person you are marrying must bring all necessary information to the Belmont County Probate Court. In order to process your application and issue a license, it is advised that you be at the Court no later than 4:00 p.m.
In Ohio, the Probate Court issues marriage licenses. Once the license is issued, it is valid for 60 days. If 60 days pass without getting married, the marriage license expires and you must reapply for a new license. When applying for a license, both applicants must appear at the Court. The court will not issue a license to anyone who appears under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
TO OBTAIN A MARRIAGE LICENSE:
- Have credit card or cash available when you apply.
- The marriage license fee is $43.00. (There will be a $3.00 credit card processing fee.) Certified copies
can be requested at the time of filing for a $3.00 fee.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- Both applicants MUST come to the Court during regular business hours to complete the process.
- If you plan to get married in Ohio, you must have an Ohio marriage license. Apply for your license in
the County where either of you live.
- If you live outside Ohio, but plan to get married in Ohio, apply for a license in the County where the
ceremony will take place.
- If you apply here, but your identification shows residency in another county, the Court requires proof of
Belmont County residency (Utility Bill, Cable Bill, Rental/Lease Agreement, Bank Statements, etc.)
- Each applicant must provide their current address, age, birth date, place of birth, and birth names of
each father and mother (mother’s maiden last name).
- If the birth name of the parent is unknown, you must bring your birth certificate to the Court.
- Applicants must have a valid government-issued photo ID (Driver’s License, State ID, Passport, Military
ID, or Green Card).
If your most recent marriage ended by divorce, dissolution or annulment, you must bring a CERTIFIED copy of the final decree or judgment entry to the Court at the time of your application. If your most recent marriage ended due to a death, the date of death for your previous spouse must be included on the application.
Marriage License Fee:
The marriage license fee is $43.00.
- $3.00 credit card processing fee will be applied.
- Certified copies are $3.00 each.
An ordained or licensed minister of any religious society or congregation within Ohio licensed to perform marriages, an authorized judge of a county court, a judge of a municipal court, the mayor of a municipal corporation within their own county, the superintendent of the state school for the deaf, or any religious society, in conformity with the rules and regulations of its church are permitted to perform a marriage ceremony.
Ministers may obtain information about licensing requirements by contacting:
State of Ohio Office of The Secretary of State
30 E. Broad St., 14th Floor
Columbus, OH 43266-0418
Change of Name:
Although it is not mandatory to do so, you may take your spouse’s last name. It is your responsibility to notify the appropriate agencies and businesses. This includes: credit accounts, banks, the Social Security Administration, and the Bureau of Motor Vehicles to have the driver’s license changed.
Information on changing your name with Social Security may be obtained by contacting:
Social Security Administration
Legal Proof of Marriage and Certified Copies:
Probate Court retains a record (marriage abstract) for every marriage license issued in Belmont County. If legal proof of your marriage is needed, a certified copy of the abstract may be obtained in the Probate Court Clerk’s Office.
- Certified copies are $3.00 each and can be paid for with cash, in-state personal check, cashier’s check,
or a certified check made payable to Belmont County Probate Court.
- Credit cards are accepted. A $3.00 charge will be added if using a credit card as payment.
- Copies may be requested in person, or by mailing to: Belmont County Probate Court, 101 West Main
Street, St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950.
- If requesting a certified copy by mail, send $3.00 cash, check, or money order. The letter of request must include: applicant’s name prior to marriage, spouses name, current address, date of marriage and a current phone number to contact.
For couples planning to marry outside the United States, you must contact the Country and location where your ceremony will be performed to obtain a marriage license. Couples married outside the United States are not required to submit any documentation to the Belmont County Probate Court.