Marriage License FAQs

Do we each need to fill out an application?

  • Both applicants must be present when applying for a license.

How can I get married by the Court, or a judge or justice of the peace?

  • In Belmont County, a Judge in one of these Municipal Courts may perform marriage ceremonies:
  • Western Court, Judge Eric Costine: (740) 695-2875; 52160 National Road, St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950 
  • Eastern Court, Judge David Trouten: (740) 449-2308; 52160 National Road, St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950
  • Northern Court, Judge Christopher Berhalter: (740) 676-4490; 52160 National Road, St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950
  • Belmont County Probate Court, Judge Albert E. Davies: (740) 699-2144; 101 West Main Street, St. Clairsville, Ohio 43950 (Mondays 2nd & 4th by appointment)

I am getting married in another State or Country, where should I apply for my marriage license?

  • The Belmont County Probate Court may only issue a license to couples who are getting married in the State of Ohio. It is your responsibility to contact the Probate Court (or comparable agency) where your ceremony will take place. If you need to find out if your marriage in another country is legally binding in the State of Ohio, you may contact the Office of the Attorney General of Ohio at 800-282-0515.